Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Breastfeeding.. My thoughts at 3 weeks.

31st May 09, Sunday, Will the weather get any Better ?? So Darn Hot !

Breast Feeding.. So far so good. Good for Baby, damn tiring for mummy.

I was one of the lucky ones who had supply the moment Nigel was born. I suckled him 1 hr after he was born. Like many others, It was pretty little. Poor Nigel looked really hungry to me but the nurses kept assuring me that Nigel was fine. Newborn can go without milk for a few days. But as a mum, of cos my heart aches. I wanted to give him formula but the nurses didn't want to. As a result, he didn't pass out much poo, which resulted in his jaundice problem. Luckily for me, My dearest buddy, Ting pass me 2 packets of her precious BM and a tin of NanHa. So Nigel had supply of BM when he's home from the hospital.

Now, my milk has gone up a lot! The first week, I had only about 50 to 60 ml per pump at every 3 hrs. Now maximum, I can pump almost 500ml in the morning, 300ml to 400ml at noon and nights. I pump about 3 times a day every 6 hours. Duration is unfortunately, 1 hour !! YA !! One Long Hour! My frens, Joo and Ting took only half an hour !! My milk flow from my left breast is pretty slow. I hope the milk flow will increase as time goes by.

These 3 days, maybe due to stress and fatigue, my supply suddenly dropped a lot. Once I got only 120ml. But today was good. It went up again too about 400ml in the morning.

Storage of Breast milk is another issue. I prefer to freeze BM in glass bottles or BPA free bottles. But due to space, I might have to think about milkbags. I'm using them now due to lack of bottles too. I just gotten another 3 storage bottles from Pigeon which are BPA free can store 150ml. For milkbags, Ting had helped me to get Blue Bird, 25pcs for $6.80 but not BPA free. But since my mum prefers milkbags so I will pass my milkbags to store at her place. She will be taking care of Nigel when I'm back at work so need to store some milk there too.

Another Big issue is how I'm going to continue with breastfeeding when I'm back at work.. My break is only one hour. I will have 2, 12hr shifts. So let's say if I start work at 1030, I had to wake up early to pump, at work my lunch will be at 3pm which I need at least half hour to pump, then have to wait till I'm back home at almost 1130am or later to pump. In between, there's a 8 to 10 hrs gap which I can't pump. So how ?? Sighz.. Still trying to figure it out. Government should have laws to protect us breastfeeding mums too !! Hahaha !!

1 comment:

Kenny Leow said...

Hi Jo,

If government is really pro-breast feeding, then they should give every mother 6 months maternity leave.