Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Penny for my Thoughts .. Our Younger Generation

Just Yesterday, a 15 yr old just said to me " Aren't you going to apologise to me?" I was totally shocked. The Mobile Phone she wanted was out of stock and she wan me to apologise to her. Like it's any fault of mine ! Like Mother Like Daughter.. I can tell her mum is also one of a kind. Just for the sake of peace, I apologise on behalf of my company. In my many years of working in the telco industry, it's the first time anyone ask that of me and a young kid !! OMG !! In my line of work, I met with loads of people everyday. I have seen all kinds of characters. But what shock me is our younger Generations. Lots of them are rude, full of themselves and act like they own the whole world. I have met many who scold their parents in front of me, calling them stuipd and stuff.. I even met one mother who beg me to ask her son to get a cheaper phone cos she has no money. It's really terrible. If it's my mum, she would have just slap me on the spot !!! Another incident which I could not forget was these 2 girls, I ask them which are they looking for in a phone since they can't decide what they want. They rudely said "Obviously can call and sms!!!" ..... Another incident which happen recently, Shawn was in a lift with a teenager and his mum, he was scolding his mum all the foul languages and the mum just kept quiet !! My mum would have throw me out of the house !!

Why are our younger generation behaving this way ???
I notice a pattern. Most of the parents are actually pretty old. Older than my mum and dad. So I think they tend to dote and pamper them too much. So the kids tend to climb all over their parents thus do not know what is "Respect".
Singaporeans' way of life is a big problem. Too busy working to tend to their kids, so most of the time their kids are left in the childcare, nanny or grandparents. As caretakers, most of them would not really discipline the kids. They are just focus on the kids physical well-being.
"Weekend Parents". Only spending "quantity" time with their children during the weekends. During this time, there is no time to disciplines their children. Mainly will be spent doing homework, going out shopping and stuff.
Also, too much focus on studies. Everything is about getting top in class, getting As. And plus reward system.." If you get top in class, I will give you this and that" No much time spend on their spiritual development.
And lastly, the new way of teaching kids. "Shouldn't beat them, should just tell them what is wrong and explain to them". I have seem many parents who is using that method. It's a total disaster. I known a few of them myself. I'm definitely not using this method. I do believe in " Sparing the rod and spoil the child".

Looking at the Lil Man is sleeping peacefully like a Lil Angel. I wonder will he grow up to be a menace like those kids. I'm also an "old" parent and I'm too busy working to spend time with the Lil Man. Will I become one of the parents that let him climb all over me ??
I'm trying to learn from my parents. They did a good job of bringing me up. My mum is housewife. So she had the time to discipline my siblings and I. She definitely is a firm believer of the cane !! My dad would come home and spend the time with us every evening. They don't pressure us on our studies. As long as we try our best, it's good enough for my parents. Most important is for them is that we respect our elders and is happy. My parents seldom quarrel too.
Shawn and I agree that we will bring Nigel up the old way.
Definitely discipline him when he's naughty. Of cos we will explain to him why it's wrong but sometimes, they are really too young to understand. Dr Teoh told me on my previous visit :"It's important to show them why it's wrong to do certain things, Just let him touch the hot kettle and he will learn why he should not touch it" Nigel is one inquisitive baby. He want to touch everything and anything. My dad noticed that once you let him touch it, he will be happy and not insist on touching it again.
Focus more on his well being and health too. Swimming and music lessons are my focus now. Studies-wise, no point forcing him to the top and get all As. Most important is that he's happy. Of cos, Job-wise, Shawn finally decided that he need a job change. He's been coming home really late since the launch of Iphone (4.30Am on the first day !! ) and gets only one Off day a week. As for Moi, working towards my Internet biz. So hopefully, Shawn and I will not be one of those weekends parents. Right now, Thanks Guan Yi that my parents are taking care of him now. They definitely will love and discipline the Lil Man. And Lil Man loves them very muchy too !

No comments: